Sunday 26 April 2015

Home - Getting Rid of Ants

Good riddance carpenter ants!

Googling online, looking through those home natural remedies with materials I do not possess, or being merely a temporary solution. I have known of cockroach poisons, how about ant poisons? And fortunately, supermarkets do have them.

My room has been ant-free, especially with me being overseas for the years. However, a simple mistake of leaving a piece of chocolate in my bag, ignored for the entire month, brought them all back overnight. Ants crawling all over my room floor, scouts on the table and even on my bed! Clearing that lone piece of chocolate and vacuuming all the ants, soaping a piece of cloth with water to wipe surfaces did not help. Tons of them, sprawling all over the floor. I was vacuuming them everyday, and a few times every hour.

I could not fathom why they were still here even with their source of food being taken away.

Upon hitting the supermarket (Cold Storage), there were several ant baits, all in the form contained within plastic frames. I decided to try the one with the most popular brand - Baygon 'Double Control Ant Baits' (S$5+).


Baygon 'Double Control Ant Baits'

I placed the two baits that came along at locations I know ants would tread, outside my balcony door and under my desk. The next day, I saw a long trail of ants leading up to the bait. I thought it was working until I realise, no. They were all going pass the bait! Shifting the bait right onto their path only led them to go around the bait. I guess big brands mean nothing. Following that trail, I found their home - a crack in my wall. I attempted moving the bait right in front of their home, but again, another futile attempt. The Baygon 'Double Control Ant Baits' does not work, at all.

The next day while at Ion Orchard, I passed by HomeFix and was wondering if they would have any pest solutions. Surprisingly, they did have an 'Ant Gel' from 'Golden Hammer', a non-toxic ant killer made locally (S$11.90). Having learnt my lesson from Baygon's ant baits, I looked up on the reviews before purchasing which were positive.

http://www.home-fix.com/
Opening hours: 10am - 10pm
ION Orchard, #B4-01
Singapore 238801


Golden Hammer's 'Ant Gel'

Squeezing a small droplets right in front of their home, and on the ant trail led to a huge manifestation of ants within a minute. Usually seeing such a large amount of ants would give me goosebumps, but this was rather interesting to watch. I replaced the gel on the same spot once.

 
Hover if you dare (Gruesome): Ant Gel placed on top of the useless Baygon's Ant Bait
(Simply didn't want to dirty the floor but ended up squeezing too much)

Upon seeing another colony (really tiny) of ants scouting on my table, I placed a drop in their path, which yielded the same effects. When I  replaced the gel for the second time about 2 to 3 hours later, there were already hardly any ants to be seen except for 1 or 2. Those few ants were not attracted to the gel, and no other ants returned. Are they gone? The next day, my suspicions were verified.

Possibly keeping this up by laying the gel at sight of a scout will keep my home literally ant-free. Really glad I found a solution which I haven't known for years, and sharing with anyone who has a similar issue at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment