Saturday 4 April 2015

Food and Travel: Hong Kong -
Part I

A so-called grad trip to Hong Kong with my boyfriend from about February 22 2015 - March 14 2015.

Originally, it was supposed to extend a week further to the 20th but class started early for him. This means less time together and more time to treasure.. He was in Singapore for a day on the 15th. Apparently weather was bad with a heavy downpour so I could not bring him to have his favourite salted egg crab. We had sukiyaki buffet at Plaza Singapura's Suki-Ya, which was understaffed as usual, a long queue and beef slices heavily stained in yellow. We wouldn't dare to eat them as they looked expired! Simply hid them underneath the empty meat boxes. Anyway, there might be some cantonese jargon in the post thats non-understandable.


We took Scoot airlines from Sydney to Hong Kong, stopping over at Singapore. Changi Airport was having Disney themed decorations all over the terminal 2. Because our housemate uses a mickey mouse cup at home, whenever I see mickey it naturally reminds me of him..

Day 1 (22.2.15):
It was an AM flight, so we arrived in Hong Kong the next day in the wee hours of the morning, suffering from sleep deprivation. Auntie (Boyfriend's mum) wants us to have dinner with her friends so this means no rest!

合興火鍋 @ Kowloon City:

I can't remember exactly where this is to be honest.. Kowloon city? Supposedly, we were intending to have Thai food but we didn't want to wait for seats. This chinese hotpot store was actually rather up dup (rundown) looking, but the meat exceeded beyond my expectations! It was like Sydney's Nishiki to me. Reminds me of how much I miss Hong Kong food. Alright, I just googled and this seems to be from 合興火鍋.

合興火鍋
+852 2716 6007 
九龍城龍崗道4號龍鳳樓  

金滿堂甜品 @ Kowloon City:

Traditional Hong Kong desserts!!! My favourite! We had so many different desserts and each of them are so good. Can't recall the names of all of them but the one on the top left is 咖啡果凍伴炭燒雪芭, and those on the bottom are 椰皇燉蛋白湯圓, 龙珠2号 and 金玉满堂 respectively. Looking at all these desserts is enticing me to return to Hong Kong already..

金滿堂甜品
+852 2383 3102
九龍城城南道5,6,9號舖

Day 2 (23.2.15):
Spent the entire day attempting to get a return home permit or a visa to China. All attempts were fruitless as I held a BNO passport. I was told by the counter at immigration that my passport was not a real passport. Wow, really? If it is not a passport what is that? Unfortunately, I dropped my phone on the ground and the screen subsequently started to flicker consistently. It sustained another fall again last week in Singapore and the screen stopped flickering. However, the colors darkened horrendously such that most photos are seen in a negative tone. No more food pictures for you, Iphone!

The Trafalgar Brewing Company @ Wan Chai:



Chill Western pub! A lunch set with soup, main, drink and dessert - pumpkin soup, barramundi, hot lemon tea and a slice of chocolate cake. The price was about HKD$80 - HKD$96, great value for money! Not to mention the food tasted great and the ambience - the lush sofa seats were awesome. It would be at least double the price in Sydney.

http://www.trafalgar.com.hk/
+852 3102 9438
灣仔港灣道28號Brim 28灣景中心1樓10號舖


Went off to bf's aunt's place, she has like 3 cats and 2 dogs? Astonishing.. zoo maybe? Picked up bf's family dog, Blackie so he could join us back at home. This cat loves me, she sat on my lap and wouldn't leave until I stood up!

Manners @ Kowloon City:















Dinner with auntie's friends. This must be one of the best restaurants I have ever been to! Absolutely loved the interior design, everything is delicately thought out. Dimly lit for a stir of romance, it is the perfect place for the proposal dinner. I was in heaven.. fresh US, Irish and France oysters, which I personally like the one from France. Can't remember if it was the US or Irish oyster that was too salty for my liking. The foie gras toast is my favourite, the combination is impeccable. I am definitely motivated to earn money for good food like these. Well, the cake is actually from Mei Sum, to celebrate the Chinese New Year. Being a chain confectionery, I was expecting it to be mediocre and (who would dare to eat the fishes). But no, the cake was more than average! Especially the fishes. They tasted like soft almond paste. Hong Kong is a gem..

Manner Club de Gourmet
+852 2383 8370
九龍城嘉林邊道4號地鋪

Day 3 (24.2.2015):
We hung out with some Sydney friends today.

CoCo Duck Bar @ Mongkok:

Just casually showing off my dart skills.

HeSheEat Cafe @ Mongkok:





Can we have one in Singapore? I had Yuzu Gelee Panna Cotta (last picture) - shrieks!! The taste isn't individualistic as the toppings brilliantly complemented each other. Yuzu jelly, biscuit crumbs, blueberries, peach and of course, yuzu ice cream. The other desserts are really tempting, but I held back! Heard their waffles are really good as well. My friend ordered pancakes, which took a terribly long time. All of us were done with our desserts before his arrived, and they looked just like McDonalds pancakes. Sadly, the taste was bad for him as well.

HeSheEat Cafe
+852 5571 3056
旺角白布街22號藝興大廈地下4號舖

Day 4 (25.2.2015):
Shopping at Causeway Bay's Sogo and I made my first purchase under pressure from my bf. On top of that he had already shopped so much and I had nothing? Who's the girl now.. We caught up with an old friend from Sydney at night. He brought us to the famed Ichiran Ramen!

Ichiran Ramen @ Causeway Bay:

I have been complementing all the food so far but this is going to put a pause to it. Ichiran Ramen with Dokudami Tea. There is only one choice of ramen, in pork-based tonkotsu soup, with adjustments to its level of spiciness, additional toppings and whether the thin or thick noodle with specifications to its toughness. Nothing special at all, why has this been a hype in Hong Kong? If Sydney's Menya were to open in Hong Kong, it can definitely conquer the entire ramen industry. It seems to me Ichiran Ramen is selling its concept of Japanese individual dining with panelled seatings, rather than its food. They introduced instant ichiran ramen for about 20 Aussie dollars each. Would you buy them? I won't.

http://hk.ichiran.com/
+852 2152 4040
香港銅鑼灣謝斐道440-446 號駱克大樓A 座地下F-G 舖

Caliente @ Tsim Sha Tsui:



Drinking with my boyfriend in Sydney made me realise he enjoys girl's drinks. I guess there is an unmanly side to every guy. We had watermelon shisha, which was tasteless. Drinks were average. Place feels empty. So..

Caliente
+852 2723 5968
尖沙咀諾士佛臺6號Mira Cube 3樓

Home @ 翠竹苑:



Photos of Blackie sleeping. This dog is way too hyper, always barking whenever a door opens, there's food.. Anyway, I couldn't resist posting the last picture up! Too cute. I used to sleep with my cat this way too and I would put my arm across him. Otherwise my cat will lie on my legs like a cushion, like Blackie. Too much love in this picture!

Will be continuing on the trip on my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment