Tuesday 7 April 2015

Food and Travel: Hong Kong -
Part II

Day 5 (26.2.2015):
Met up with a friend who came all the way down from Shen Zhen to meet me for a few hours, even when she had a flight to catch the next day. Touched! She has the exact same full name in English as me, a name I always got made fun of in primary school due to the word 'man'. So I get names like 'old man' and 'tarzan'..

雪村 @ Kowloon Tong:

We had the lunch set at 雪村 in 又一城, which comes with the choice of salad or dessert apart from the main, drink and snack. I ordered the beef bowl udon and asked for the dessert. Pathetically, the dessert was a teeny weenie ice cream mochi. Nonetheless, the food's alright.

雪村串燒
+852 2265 7712 
九龍塘達之路80號又一城L1層19A號舖

Subsequently, we spent 15 minutes simply trying to take a selfie because I was clueless as to how to take pictures with Samsung phones. Why can't they snap instantly like IPhones but come with a pause after you press the shutter or something? Met up and accompanied my boyfriend to having his lunch right after. Yes, this means watching him eat.

Amaroni's Little Italy @ Kowloon Tong:



I absolutely adore the restaurant's architecture! It's like travelling back in time to Europe. BF ordered the 'executive lunch set' because he wants to dine like a CEO... To end up being unable to finish his meal with substantial leftovers. The set consisted of bread, salad, soup and a main? I didn't try the food anyway as they looked kind of 'heavy' to me. The service was really slow.. We waited for 15 minutes after we have already asked for the bill time and again. Moreover, the restaurant was nowhere near full capacity so I was really annoyed.

http://www.windy-city.com.hk/amar/
+852 2265 8818
九龍塘達之路80號又一城LG1層32號舖

Met up with Emomo at night, who looked really different in a suit. Somehow, I had this 'oh my son's all grown up now' feeling..

Sushi Ta-Ke @ Causeway Bay:



 



Well, coming to this place for dinner felt more like a mistake as the one I wanted to order is from its lunch set - the sashimi rice bowl. The dinner prices are much more steep than for lunch, which I did not realise. Still, the food is so amazing such that it feels like reaping the rewards of working hard at a mundane job. Trust me, its worth every bit of your penny.

We ordered the stewed golden eye red snapper, grilled ling cod fish with saikyo miso and grilled miyazaki A5 wagyu beef. I love cod fish as usual, really well cooked with the succinct taste of miso, but the one that stood out was the wagyu. Everything about the wagyu was perfect and they were not stingy about the portions. It is so tender it literally melts in your mouth! Now I learned where this phrase comes from. This is something I will work my ass off for just to return to eat it again. I am actually not a fan of red snappers but this was really good as well with the fish soaking up all the juices. Wish the portion was bigger, oishisugi! No regrets. Emomo treated me this time round but I will work hard for us to come for a next meal!

http://www.sushitake.com.hk/
+852 2577 0611
銅鑼灣開平道一號Cubus 12樓


Walked around CWB's Hysan Place and there was this huge ultraman right outside. Childhood memories...

港澳義順牛奶公司 @ Causeway Bay:

Dessert after dinner. Every time I return to Hong Kong I will grab this! Usually I go to the outlet at Jordan though, didn't know there was one at cwb. I love their original 雙皮奶 (double skin milk?)! Ordered 雙皮奶 with ginger sauce this time round and I didn't really like it. Still my favourite double skin milk place!

港澳義順牛奶公司
+852 2591 1837
銅鑼灣駱克道506號地下


Joined up with BF again and we finally got our christmas cum valentines day gift - couple rings! Absolutely no regrets waiting to grab them in Hong Kong than Australia. Those in Australia look like wedding rings and over-simplistic designs. This brand, The Kiss, is actually from Japan, no wonder their designs are so pretty and immaculate. I forgot to wear the ring on several occasions though as I left them kept in the box. Too bad BF remembered to!

Haagen Dazs @ Mong Kok:

Decided to catch a movie after, so we wasted some time at Haagen Dazs. I was too full to have anything.. still nibbed a bit of the tiramisu cake though. And that's a hot chocolate.

http://haagen-dazs.com.hk/
+852 3514 9116
旺角亞皆老街8號朗豪坊4樓13號舖 


Can't remember what movie we caught? It's not Cinderella, merely found the glass slipper attractive. I caught Cinderella after returning to Singapore and the movie was bad, no songs and a cut-down storyline. What happened to all the talking mice and the big bad cat?

Day 6 (27.2.2015):
Started the morning with fighting monkeys. Should have expected this since we live near Monkey Mountain.





A wild monkey appears! :: Pokeball in hand ::


We were taking pictures of the monkies until one monkey started walking up to us. There were 3 in total. He then jumped onto the railing close to us, menacingly growled and was getting ready to pounce onto us. We ran away in fear.. bye mankey.

Outback Steakhouse @ Causeway Bay:

Hello little poop.


Nah it's not poop, it's bread. Bland and dry to the mouth.. Not a fan of bread. The Toowoomba Topped Sirloin looked nothing like the picture. Old and dry shrimps, likewise for the meat which was not tender at all. Seriously this price for the steak? Even the $10 steaks in Aussie pubs are better. I'm heading back to Australia. 

http://www.outback.com.hk/
+852 2881 8012
銅鑼灣百德新街22-36號翡翠明珠廣場2樓

Appolo @ Causeway Bay:

Was shopping around while we chanced upon this. The taste was really unique! I couldn't tell if its ice cream or yogurt. Apparently my bf always had this as a child, maybe I did too? Can't remember.

http://www.appolo.com.hk/
銅鑼灣記利佐治街1號金百利廣場UG1樓823號舖


Had this cheung fun at a random store while waiting for Auntie. Local and really cheap, think it was HKD$18? Great supper snack!

Day 7 (28.2.2015):
Caught up with some Sydney friends I used to hang out with when I was Year 2/3. Most of them have already settled down in Hong Kong but me, still jobless..

Dim Dim Sum @ Jordan:

This Dim Sum shop is a definite must-try! Hurray for Hong Kong dim sums! I tried 'ma lai gou' for the first time and its now my new favourite! I have not seen it at all the places I have been to yum cha, somehow. Also tried 'gui fa gou', which I have only seen it in chinese dramas set in the dynasty eras. Another new favourite!

點點心點心專門店
+852 2771 7766 
佐敦文英街文華樓23號地下

Visited Pma's place and shopped around before we headed for dinner.

魂拉面 @ Causeway Bay:



Good ramen, but not as good as Sydney's. This makes me appreciate the ramen scene in Sydney much more. I thought Hong Kong is superior in every cuisine than Singapore and Australia, but it seems not. Probably held too high expectations. On the whole, Hong Kong food remains to be the tip of the pinnacle.


+852 2893 2699
銅鑼灣霎西街18C號地下

ZYNK Lounge @ Causeway Bay:



Bo brought us to his friend's bar which had awesome beer and shisha. Tried 1664 for the first time even though it is commonly retailed even in supermarkets? And I found a new beer love! So smooth in texture. Connie showed us her shisha skills in blowing circles, which bf was really jelly about. Ending up me and bf were racing each other to see who can consistently blow circles..

ZYNK Lounge
+852 2352 5333
銅鑼灣謝斐道460-462號楊耀熾商業大廈2樓

Part III upcoming!


No comments:

Post a Comment